Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Happy Birthday MLK!

Today I arose earlier than usual for a Wednesday, considering that my first class begins at 12:20 and I usually Sleep in till 10:30, all in honor of my esteemed University's Annual Martin Luther King Convocation. If you weren't aware today is his birthday and FAMU chooses to honor our great leader's memory annually through this convocation, which includes, a re-enactment of that famous "I Have a Dream" Speech.

Though I did attend, I was a little late :/, but i did get a lot of good inspirational nuggets, and very much enjoyed the fellowship of my fellow Rattlers, as we sung We Shall Overcome, and Our Schools Alma Mater. It Wonderful seeing my fellow African Americans, as well as other races come together in such a way that truly reflect how far we have come.
The Central Theme of all the Awards, and Speeches seemed to be the same, though we all can count off the amazing and inspiring think MLK Jr. and other Great Activist did to move our people forward and inspire...What have you been doing to keep that dream alive?
A receipt from The Dream Defenders, whose name I didn't catch, reminded us all of how we came together to bring Justice for the Martin Family, but that there was much more work to be done before, and after, that landmark trial. He had us all chant "I believe that we will" and I hope that we believed the words we spoke.

Kendrick Meek, a former Florida State Representative, delivered a beautiful speech on the Power FAMU has used so well, to help people who, as he said
  "Weren't fortunate enough to attend this esteemed university"
He spoke on not wasting the time God gave you, and how service, commitment, and good will, are what make changes, and used an excellent quote by Michael Eric Dyson, to drive the point home.
"You've got to make religion act right,your sprit act right, and stand up for what you know is right!"
Now that's what I call, Keeping the Dream Alive.

 Convocation ended appropriately with the Marching 100's rendition of Stevie Wonders "Happy Birthday To You." So, Happy Birthday Martin Luther King, your legacy inspires us all to be greater, than they ever throught we could.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Paperblog